All throughout June, we are working on odd jobs at Cranberry Cottage. We are using long weekends there to get things done. This past weekend we decided to start on a job we have put off since we bought the cottage 9 years ago...the garden shed.
This shed was hand built by the farmer who owned the cottage before us. He made it so solid that even our neglect was not enough to bring it to ruin. We had the roof replaced years ago but never got around to painting it. The problem was that I hated the brown and wanted to do something different but also within keeping of its surroundings.
Last week, I got a brainstorm that it needed to look like typical Old Dutch "potdekselen". We bought a large pot of "bielzenzwart" which is a very fluid tar based paint. We got stuck in and I discovered that I have a hidden talent for this kind of paintwork. I did the three sides while Jos worked on the front and underneath of the roof overhangs on all side.
The difference of the before and after photos just amaze us. We are really happy with a weekend's hard graft.
Our next task will be to repaint the door and roof line in cranberry as the cottage itself is and making some new lace curtains. The ones hanging now are so old that I am afraid they will turn to dust if I touch them.