I had been rummaging in the second floor rooms through all our stuff which is still being sorted since we moved in. I found a remnant of a upholstery fabric I had used to recover two Swedish chairs which you can see here (click for old blog post). It was enough to try padding this wooden seat once the chair was recovered.
Jos took the chair apart, sanded it down and stained it in pure palisander stain for me. Normally palisander comes out a rich brown as we have used it for our bookshelves and my Windsor chairs. On this pine it came out much lighter and gives the chair a nice warm and rustic look. I stapled layers of stiff, thick batting to the chair before then stapling the upholstery fabric on and replacing it to the chair. I have the chair beside our hutch in the living room when not being used. Now I have an extra chair for my quilt studio that is much more comfortable to sit on as we turned an old chair into a new one.